An Amazon search for Interaction design turned up these ten books, most of which I do not have. Any thoughts? What is *the* best book on interaction design, in your opinion.
1. GUI Bloopers: Don’ts and Do’s for Software Developers and Web Designers
by Jeff Johnson (Paperback – March 2000)
I saw Jeff talk at Bay0CHi and he was very funny and charming. i’m sure I’d enjoy this book– but what would I learn?
2. The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
by Jef Raskin (Paperback)
Yes I’ve read it, yes it’s great. A must on all our shelves.
3. Information Visualization : Perception for Design (Morgan Kaufmann Interactive Technologies Series)
by Colin Ware (Hardcover – January 2000)
I’ve almost bought this several times. Almost.
4. Shaping Web Usability: Interaction Design in Context
by Albert N. Badre, Jim Foley (Paperback)
Avg. Customer Rating:
This is hte one I’m most likely to buy next. I’ve been thinking hard about the relation of design and usability and how they don’t sufficiantly intertwine.
5. Interaction Design
by Jenny Pree
6. Information Appliances and Beyond
by Eric Bergman (Editor) (Paperback)
I dunno– I enjoyed “invisible computer” but do I need to go further?
7. Online Communities: Designing Usability and Supporting Sociability
by Jenny Preece (Paperback)
I didn’t think I cared much one way or another about “web communities” but Derek Powazek’s book has definately changed my mind. This might be good. (his definately is)
8. Coordinating User Interfaces for Consistency
by Jakob Nielsen (Editor) (Paperback)
Um, reissue.. is it really still relevent? And if so, just how relevent?
9. Interactivity By Design
by Ray Kristof, Amy Satran (Paperback)
I just got this at a book swap– it’s really a coffee table book. Very pretty, lots of pictures, and well written but nto that much content, and surprisignly little on interaction design. it’s more of a web design overview. But yum, meta-design.
10. Contextual Design : A Customer-Centered Approach to Systems Designs
by Hugh Beyer, Karen Holtzblatt (Paperback – August 1997)
got it, love it. Guess I never did write a proper review. must remedy that.
Anyhow, what do you think?